The Life of Gabe and Mandy

"It is a good thing to give thanks unto the LORD, and to sing praises unto thy name, O most High: To shew forth thy lovingkindness in the morning, and thy faithfulness every night..." Psalm 92:1-2

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Thanksgiving

I spent the last two days filling in as a substitute teacher for a Summer School near our house.

My eyes have been opened to a few things that I often take for granted! I'm so grateful right now because:
1.)My parents don't send me to summer school from 8:00am - 6:00pm
2.)I'm free to learn the things that interest me instead of whatever is being presented to me by any teacher or school, (These things might include dancing, or watching movies about ghosts, witches, and other demonic subjects.)
3.)I've learned to play outside in the rain or in the hot sun and have fun, without computers, video games, adults to supervise and run the whole show just to keep order... It's okay with my parents if we have to sweat it out, and it's okay with us kids too!
4.)I consider my siblings to be something much more valuable and precious than a thorn in the side.
5.)In my schooling atmosphere I didn't have to hear minced oaths crude topics proceeding out of the mouths of teachers and students alike on a regular basis.

The list goes on and on... something seems to be seriously wrong.

Time to talk about something more cheery.

We're planning to take another trip up to OR! Next week we hope to attend a music camp, www.boohermusiccamp.com , where we hope to learn/improve on the fiddle, guitar, keyboard and maybe bass. We're pretty excited about that!

Last night it was so hot we decided to sleep outside. Chris, Annie, Merrie, Alyssa and I laid out a couple of blankets on the lawn and enjoyed a night away from our oven of a house! It was kind of scary when just the night before a guy tried to climb into our bus and upon detection of being detected he cussed dad out, threatening to bring back "the gang". And the night before, we came home to find a guy getting ready to bed down on the front porch. When Justin discovered him he said, "Oh, I thought you guys were gone."

Comforting...

It's interesting to consider that we need to love these guys as Christ loves us.

"But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;" Matthew 5:44

"By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." John 13:35

If you had an opportunity to spend 2 long days with 8 kids, who didn't have a very good family life what do you think would be the most important thing to try to teach them? How could you impact their life for good?