The Life of Gabe and Mandy

"It is a good thing to give thanks unto the LORD, and to sing praises unto thy name, O most High: To shew forth thy lovingkindness in the morning, and thy faithfulness every night..." Psalm 92:1-2

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Music Camp...2



Hey, I'm actually going to continue blogging about Music Camp!

For those of you who didn't know, I don't really play the fiddle yet, I just kind of picked it up a few times and tried to pick out tunes on it, so when I found out we were actually going to camp I signed up for fiddle 1. When we arrived I discovered that I had been placed in fiddle 3. When I asked about it I was encouraged to just try it and I was always welcome to move from one class to another.

Monday Morning came and I headed off to class. First I had to tune my fiddle, yikes, I had always asked Annie to do that for me! Then the teacher asked everyone to play a solo so that he could get an idea of where we were at... understand, I'd never learned a song on the fiddle to play straight through. As my turn came closer I was ready to run! Instead I told myself to just pretend I knew what I was doing, and to calm down.

It was definitely a humbling week. Fortunately my solo went fine, half of my class was actually just as prepared as I was, or less, even though they took lessons, so I didn't feel so bad... yet... (But that's another story).

All the classes were actually very fun! I loved them, and the instructors were awesome! But by Wednesday, I was going on my 4th day with only about 5 hours of sleep and I was getting more than overwhelmed, I ditched the afternoon class and a nap took care of that problem!

On Friday morning I ditched class once more, (With permission this time!), to go rock climbing with Justin and a group of others. After a week of classes I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of being outside and getting some excercise!

We went to Smith Rock. It was actually very pretty, in a deserty sort of way. I'm looking forward to going back there sometime! The climbs we did were really fun climbs, and the group we went with was great fun too! Some of the climbers had never done rock climbing before and they did great! I can hardly wait to go climbing again, but today, surfing will suffice!!!